Well not really, but here’s a nature clip of the famous ‘white ants’, complete with extremely poor (if mildly amusing) commentary.
People go a bit nuts for this local delicacy when a swarm comes. Children are everywhere with lamps to attract and buckets to collect. There’s a few options for how to enjoy.
1) Fresh and raw, just remove wings and hey presto, a tasty high-protein snack
2) Deep fried. Destroys the taste a bit but hey, what isn’t good deep fried?
3) Fresh pasted. If you grind the body onto a rock you form a thick tasty paste which can be eaten raw or fried.
4) Fresh Fried with eggs and Bo (spinach-ish). Just gives it that extra kick every greens-dish needs.
5) Probably 82 other ways I’m unaware of
And if you think that’s a bit yuck, just spend a moment imagining exactly what is in your sausage or burger. Yeah that’s right ;D.
The ‘ngwen’ really does bring back memories! You must have had some rain if the ngwen are coming out. We were woken once in the middle of the night at a guest house in Kampala as people shrieked and yelled while chasing these hapless creatures. Not for us though, we just tried to sleep through the racket! Only to find the stairwell covered in wings the next morning.
Nick, I remember those pictures/videos from your 21st…you have wanted to do this type of thing from way back! You’re very good at it! hugs, Myriam
Thanks for the video Nick. I saw one swarm with kids chasing and chewing. Found the aftermath on the patio where I worked a few times in the morning – leaving a security light on didn’t give them a chance.
Nice one Ray! Security lights definitely provide a free snack once in a while that’s for sure 🙂
You’re so awesome! I don’t suppos I’ve read a single thing
like that before. So nikce to discover someone with unique thoughts
on thiis subject matter. Really.. many hanks for
starting this up. This web site is something that is neded on the
internet, someone with some originality!